Monday, November 19, 2012

Feeling Like A "Real" Wife and Mom Now


Growing up, I always was in awe of the women who could throw together a delicious meal without ever cracking open a cookbook. How did they do it? Was it magic? Did they have an innate knowledge of what ingredients went well together and what spices would perfect a dish? Does something magical occur the moment a woman becomes a wife and mother?

Well, over the course of my almost two year long marriage, I have come to realize that the secret to creating delicious meals is time and experience. As with any skill or talent, time and experience prove invaluable. While I have always considered myself a good cook and baker, I have never defined myself by those terms. In my mind a truly terrific cook or baker is one who can imagine and create delicious concoctions from scratch. A true master is one who writes the book, not one who uses it.

After countless meals cooked and deserts baked, I am proud to say that I have crossed the line between cookbook dependent wife and mom into the land of pioneers! I have taken risks and accepted the fact that I might fail. Someone might get poisoned. Well, not poisoned, but surely grossed out! And, I have succeeded. Progress has been slow, but it has paid off. I have created two of my own recipes that are husband and baby approved.

My creations are mainly due to the recipes that I have tried and enjoyed over the past two years. I have taken the back bones of basic recipes and been able to add and amplify them to meet my taste desires. So, in one sense, I am not a pioneer cook. I have created nothing new. Still, it is progress!

Tonights success was the semi crockpot chicken tortilla soup. I had numerous recipes available, but decided to have fun and try my own ideas. It is a basic chicken tortilla soup and could be embellished depending on your tastes and preferences.

Chicken Tortilla Soup:


One medium onion chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
64 oz chicken broth
3 chicken breasts (around 1lb)
1 cup salsa
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 can diced southwestern style diced tomatoes (jalapeños & green chilies)
4 oz can of diced green chilies
½ can black beans
1 cup frozen corn
1 tbsp Franks hot sauce

Place chicken breasts in crockpot and top with salsa and Franks
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the chicken shreds easily

In large pot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until tender and translucent
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Shred the chicken/salsa mixture and add to the pot
Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until ready to heat
Serve hot topped with cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, etc. 

Another recipe that I have created is a chili recipe. This recipe was discovered in a similar way to my tortilla soup recipe. I took the basic chili recipe and tweaked  and added to it until I had the taste that I desired. I will share that recipe in a later post. It is pretty good, if I must say so myself.

So, why does creating a recipe make me feel like a "real" wife and mom? It is probably due to the fact that I grew up watching reruns of early sitcoms in which the mom was the perfect 1950s woman with a little sass and humor mixed in. Or it might be due to my slight addiction to cooking shows in which women simply throw together wonderful dishes. Whatever the reason, I feel a sense of accomplishment in finally making a dish my own. I am growing up :)


Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your very own dish! That's the fun with cooking...you can experiment and get immediate feed back on your efforts...even if you poison them! Ha! And practice definitely does make perfect! :D

    Mindy @ New Equus - A New Creation
    http://newequus.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember being a slave to the cookbook. Now I just use the recipes for Holiday favorites. I don't even really remember making the transition. But I agree with Mindy, practice definitely helps.

    ReplyDelete